Monday, January 9, 2012

Hard Boiled Eggs




I live in my head an awful lot, which is probably a good thing, but also means that I struggle to relate to people when I emerge from my hermetically sealed jar of fog. As a result of this I have few real friends, and those I do have, I am extraordinarily attached to. On blessedly scarce occasions, something earth shattering happens to one, or more of those friends and this is where the single worst immi / emigration issue I have comes in - I am unable to reach out and provide the most awkward hug on earth (tm)
I am horrible at phone calls and almost as useless at texts, so, crippled by my own inadequacy, I become a flapping mess, unable to help myself or anyone else. When the most necessary thing is a hug, technology, and my innate social awkwardness fails spectacularly.
I hate this about me, about the universe and about where I am, not just geographically but in my own life.

Today, I feel very far from home.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Your social quirks is what we love :)
It makes you, you. Luckily I can never work out how to call out internationally!
We're all thinking of you in SA, so many things ring 'Lara' in my head. Maybe I should start documenting the Laraness of SA?